Friday, June 8, 2007

Reflection #3

According to the learning style inventory, my learning style is mostly verbal and solitary. I have taken various learning style inventories. I have also taken the Meyers-Briggs test.

Currently, I am not teaching in a classroom. However, I have been tutoring a student for over a year. She is entering the first grade this coming year. I meet with her once a week after school. I try to use strategies that incorporate kinesthetic, visual, and tactile experiences.

I do not have experience with SLA students. However, the student I tutor is an emergent reader and writer. Her mother has a behaviorist approach to her learning. Therefore, I try to provide more authentic ideas that support reading and/or writing through their interaction. I have had to come up with ways to address the concerns of the parent. I need to satisfy her desire to help her child while discouraging her from overwhelming her child with unnecessary activities.

2 comments:

Janette said...

It is at times difficult when dealing with parents because you never want to step on thier toes or tell them how to educate thier child. It is important however to let them know the strengths and weaknesses of certain approaches because you are right we dont want to overwhelm the child.

Janette said...

It is at times difficult when dealing with parents because you never want to step on thier toes or tell them how to educate thier child. It is important however to let them know the strengths and weaknesses of certain approaches because you are right we dont want to overwhelm the child.